Could Friday 13th be your new lucky day?

Friday the 13th is considered by many to be an unlucky day. With the first of two black Friday’s this calendar year upon us, 2017 could be the year you consider ignoring the superstition and embracing the day. You may even want to try your ‘luck’ buying a lotto entry on Friday the 13th!

Regardless if you fear or embrace the day, Friday the 13th traditionally sees a range of unusual superstitious beliefs come to light, and the issue of luck is one that keeps people talking.

Tatts Lotteries asked almost 6,000 Australian adults whether they had any superstitious lotto rituals such as buying from the same lottery outlet or playing with special or significant numbers.

The research, conducted by ReachTEL, revealed that 39.2% of total people surveyed would prefer to choose their own lucky numbers to play based on birthdays, anniversaries and other significant numbers, while the rest (60.8%) were happy to have their numbers randomly selected and computer generated such as a QuickPick entry or by marking a random pattern on the coupon (refer to table 1).

Women were much more likely to be sentimental than men when picking their favourite lotto numbers with 45.6% of women compared to 32.5% of men saying they’d use birthdays, anniversaries and significant numbers – perhaps that’s because men are often renowned for forgetting special dates!

Interestingly, many division one winners have told Tatts Group Lotteries over the years when checking draw results they immediately recognised their own significant numbers and knew they’d won right away!

The research also revealed around one third (32.1%) of Australian adults said they felt more optimistic about their chances of winning if they chose the numbers themselves, with Victorian and New South Wales respondents feeling more strongly about this than any other state surveyed (refer to table 2).

In terms of ‘lucky outlets’ and whether people believed where you buy your lottery ticket could enhance your chances of winning, only around a quarter of people believed it could make a difference (refer to table 3).

Tatts Group Lotteries spokesperson Elissa Lewis said that no matter what you believe in, this Black Friday was as good a day as any to buy an entry for your chance to win.

“With draws in Set for Life occurring every day of the year, this Friday the 13th is the first opportunity in 2017 for customers to embrace the day and purchase an entry into the Black Friday draw and have the chance to turn the tables on superstition and win the 1st Prize of $20,000 each and every month for the next 20 years,” Ms Lewis said.

“All Tatts Lotteries games are entertaining games of chance where all numbers are drawn randomly with an equal chance of being drawn. This however doesn’t stop some players from believing in certain routines for purchasing entries or habitually choosing certain numbers to play.

“We hear interesting stories all the time about luck and superstitions from our players, including dreams predicting of a win, fortune tellers foreseeing riches, and quirky ways of choosing numbers.

“While no one can summon the winning numbers on a crystal ball, you can still take the time to carefully consider how you choose what will hopefully become your life-changing numbers!

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter where you buy your ticket, and there’s no right or wrong way to choose your numbers; you just have to be in it to win it, so why not fun with it have!

If you want to purchase an entry into Set for Life’s Black Friday draw or buy a lotto entry on Friday the 13th, you can purchase an entry in-store or online at thelott.com.

Table 1

Q: Of the following, how would you choose your numbers for the lottery?
 

Total

Female

Male

Significant numbers such as birthdays or anniversaries

39.2%

45.6%

32.5%

At random

60.8%

54.4%

67.5%

  
Table 2
 
Q: If you purchase a lottery ticket, do you feel more optimistic about your chances of winning and if you choose the numbers yourself rather than a QuickPick?
 

Total

QLD

VIC

NSW

SA

I feel that I'm more likely to win if I choose the number myself

32.1%

29.3%

33.2%

33.4%

29.5%

It makes no difference to me how the numbers are chosen

67.9%

70.7%

66.8%

66.6%

70.5%

 
Table 3
 
Q: Do you think where you buy your lottery ticket increases your chances of winning?
 

Total

Female

Male

QLD

VIC

NSW

SA

Yes

22.1%

22.0%

22.3%

21.5%

21.1%

25.2%

21.8%

No

77.9%

78.0%

77.7%

78.5%

78.9%

74.8%

78.2%

 
This survey was conducted using an automated telephone based survey system among 5,964 voters. The data has been weighted to reflect the population age and gender distribution as provided by the ABS. Telephone numbers and the person within the household were selected at random. Copyright ReachTEL Pty Ltd.