Milestone Betting Moments
On the eve of the 100th State of Origin game, TattsBet, one of Australia's most established bookmakers, reviews the annual battle that has become one of the most popular punting events in the country.
It's one of the most explosive showdowns in our annual fixtures, of 'state against state, mate against mate'. This year is set to be even more legendary with the 2014 State of Origin series already seeing sporting enthusiasts reaching for the history books.
This Wednesday's season opener marks the 100th match between Queensland and New South Wales since the first clash back in 1980. Adding to the anticipation is Queensland’s bid to continue its historic winning streak and make it nine straight series victories – as New South Wales attempt to restore some pride in the sky blue jersey.
To celebrate the occasion, TattsBet analysts have been number crunching a decade of official State of Origin sports betting data, to release its Top Nine betting facts.
TattsBet’s resident betting expert, Gerard Daffy, says Origin is one of greatest draw cards for punters, with more than two million bets taken across the country in 2012.
"As one of the longest serving sports betting agencies in the country, we have a rich knowledge and understanding of Australian's betting behaviours. TattsBet will take more money on one Origin game than an entire NRL round, so it attracts huge interest and, across the series, ranks up there with the footy Grand Finals and major Spring Racing events. It's almost like the Melbourne Cup of sport – it appeals to a lot of once a year and occasional punters."
With the betting floodgates opening following the naming of the teams last week, TattsBet has trawled through the archives to look at some of the most memorable Origin punting stats.
Top #TattsBetOrigin stats
- TattsBet has taken more than $30 million on State of Origin clashes since the Queensland winning streak began in 2006.
- Over two million bets were placed on Origin, nationally, in 2012 – the biggest punting year for the interstate clash.
- TattsBet recorded the highest Origin sales ever on Game 1 in 2009 when, for the first time, it was played in Melbourne, taking over $1.4m.
- 2012 marked the biggest year for punting on State of Origin with $4 million placed with TattsBet. This was also the year that NSW leveled the series by taking out Game II, setting a TV ratings record for most-watched second game of any series in State of Origin history.
- The game with the highest number of bets in the last nine years was Game III in 2012 with 72,270 bets placed.
- The largest single bet identified by TattsBet in the last nine years was on 16 June 2010 when one punter put $40,000 on QLD at $1.04 (QLD-NSW, H2H) which won – a return of $41,600.
- The same punter returned in 2011 and put $30,000 on QLD at $1.08 which also got up.
- It’s no longer beers, pies and dropping into the local pub to place a bet. Despite the fact Facebook didn’t even exist last time New South Wales won a series, now almost a third of all Origin bets are placed online.
- Betting live throughout the game has increased 50% over the last two years due to the popularity of that form of betting plus the closeness of the matches.
Source: TattsBet archives from 2004 – 2014.
Although historically Queenslanders hate the tag of being favourites, common sense has prevailed this time around and they are more than happy to take the short price. Facts and figures say it will be a Queensland win.
TattsBet special offer: TattsBet is offering money back on losing first try scorer bets if your player scores second.
- Ends -
For more information:
Zoe Finlayson, Bang PR, 0434 279 709
Emma Koubayssi, Bang PR, 0459 998 986
Katie Sinclair, TattsBet, 0402 941 137
Notes to Editors
TattsBet is a member of the Tatts Group of companies and the leading provider of totalisator and fixed odds betting products in Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory via retail outlets, hotels and clubs, telephone and internet
Its origins can be traced back to George Adams who in 1881 founded Tatts Group Limited, formerly Tattersall's Limited.
TattsBet is Australia’s premier pari-mutuel and fixed price betting provider with more than 1,200 retail outlets across Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory as well as nationwide via TattsBet.com and the Tatts app. Wagering is conducted on thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing as well as on a variety of sports including, but not limited to AFL, NRL, Rugby Union, Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, Golf and Basketball.