– Meeting assessed on the current rating of a Dead 5
– Good 2yo race to start the day. Interesting betting race as many of the youngsters have only publically trialled or raced on wet tracks. I liked the run of Shekou over the 850 metres at the Sunshine Coast first up. She attacked the line strongly indicating the 1200 metres will be much more to her liking. Gundy Spirit trialled very nicely winning an Eagle Farm trial by an ever increasing 5.5 lengths. He draws awkwardly but definitely has ability. A potential improver is Mishani Centurion who raced behind some good 2yo’s last preparation and has the blinkers on first time.
– Open maiden where there looks to be plenty of chances. Stargrill Boy was very honest in his first two starts. He ran third in a very strong maiden at his last start before a spell. He is the one to beat despite the wide barrier. Pretty Face is turning into a punter’s nightmare but has to be considered again. Barrier 1 is not ideal as she has a tendency to miss the start but with an even getaway she will be right in the finish. Elusive Leone has decent Victorian form and joins a respectable stable. Magic Cadre is nicely bred out of a Group 1 winner and betting moves should be monitored as he has not been seen publically at the trials.
– Another maiden that looks reasonably open. Going to put one on top that should be a decent price in the shape of Haven Queen. She should be able to find the front and with the 51kgs after the claim for Priscilla Schmidt I think she could be hard to chase down. Rock Style is nicely bred and has the excellent combination of Kelso Wood/Damian Browne and despite having not much exposed form she looked ok in a recent Eagle Farm trial. Varanasi and Leurocity look the other chances but both rise significantly in weight from their recent placings.
– Going to give Lord Lonhro one more chance despite his failure first up. His trial was excellent leading into his first up run and I’m putting his disappointing run down to the wet track. The Paparazzi has been beaten as a favourite in his last 4 starts but he did look good in his recent Eagle Farm trial. He will race on the pace and has to be given another chance. Hammersmith was well held at Gatton but was mentioned numerous times in the steward’s report. He looked a nice type in his recent trial and is a definite improver.
– Hard to go past Lennie’s Choice who was ultra-impressive in similar grade last week. He has exceptional early speed and should be able to find the front easily again. The Right One definitely looms as the main danger and has drawn inside Lennie’s Choice. He should be able to secure the run on the back of Lennie’s Choice as the horse drawn in barrier 1 has limited early speed. They should be able to run the quinella. Tom’s Luck looms the other chance in the race and faces a significant class drop from his recent runs.
– Open Benchmark 75 race where there appears to be a decent amount of early speed from Zekeza and Beeby Gem. Catashee is a handy mare that has won Saturday races and tends to run her best races when she is fresh. She should be able to get the right run just off the speed. Tea Tattle might be in awkward position midfield from his inside barrier draw but with even luck in the straight can definitely feature in the finish. He has a very good fresh record and has the 3kg claim for a very promising apprentice. Beeby Gem looks the other main chance in the race as he will race on the speed and will appreciate the return to a drier track.
– This race looks the ideal assignment for Flying Lamborgini. She is well suited under the set weights condition of the race and looks the logical leader. She has been ultra-consistent this preparation and deserves to be the top pick. Musical Lady was unsuited by the slow tempo first up and should improve over the longer distance. Egyptian Tomb races well second up and got too far back in the same race as Musical Lady first up.
– There doesn’t appear to be a lot of speed on paper in this race. In Berlin and Default are likely to the on pace runners. This race is wide open and happy to give Default another chance at a decent price. He looks like he will get a good run on the speed and with the claim for Jamieson he might be able to give a good sight. Dark Charger has the blinkers on for the first time and was impressive after not having a lot of mid race luck at Eagle Farm recently. Waranga has trouble finding the winners circle but was a nice winner at Ipswich last start and this isn’t much stronger.
Click here to bet on today’s racing